Issue View | Council III | 2018 Scribe Packet
The Issue that you selected is shown below. If you click on "Word Document File with Tracking," you will open a Word document version of the Issue. Because the document you will be opening is in Word format, you will need to use Word functions to save or print the Issue. When you view or use this Word version, the internal html functions will no longer work. Closing the screen will return you to the Start icon.
Issue Number: Council III 007
This is a brand new Issue.
SPCC 2- Single Hazard Special Process HACCP Template Guidance Document
Issue you would like the Conference to consider
At the 2016 Biennial Meeting of the Conference for Food Protection, the Special Process Controls Committee was created and charged (Issue: 2016-III-034) to:
1. Review current FDA Food Code specialized processes, including curing and reduced oxygen packaging (ROP) in sections 3-502.11 and 3-502.12 to determine when and if food safety hazards could be controlled by a plan less than a full HACCP plan as defined in 8-201.14.
2. Report back findings and recommendations to the 2018 biennial meeting of the Conference for Food Protection.
The Special Process Controls Committee quickly came to the conclusion that food safety hazards should NOT be controlled by a plan less than a full HACCP plan as defined in 8-201.14. However, the committee determined that a partially pre-filled HACCP template would make the process of creating a HACCP plan less complicated for both operators and regulators. It is requested that the Conference formally create a publications document category called Single Hazard Special Process HACCP Templates that would consider the document category guidance submitted with this issue so that future templates can be created and approved by the Conference in a uniform manner.
Public Health Significance
Special Processes are those retail food service processes that are more like food manufacturing processes rather than traditional retail or food service processes. Consequently, the FDA model Food Code mandates the use of HACCP for most of these processes. Any HACCP guidance that CFP can provide to operators and regulators would enhance the food safety of these processes.
Recommended Solution: The Conference recommends...
- Approval of the draft Single Hazard Special Process HACCP Template Guidance Document (attached as a content document to Issue titled: Report - Special Process Control Committee).
- Authorizing the Conference to make any necessary edits prior to posting the document on the CFP web site to assure consistency of format and non-technical content; edits will not affect the technical content of the document.
- Posting the final document on the CFP website in PDF and editable Word format