Issue View | Council II | 2016 Biennial Meeting
The Issue that you selected is shown below. If you click on "Word Document File with Tracking," you will open a Word document version of the Issue. Because the document you will be opening is in Word format, you will need to use Word functions to save or print the Issue. When you view or use this Word version, the internal html functions will no longer work. Closing the screen will return you to the Start icon.
Issue Number: Council II 027
This is a brand new Issue.
CBP 2 – Revision of CFP Commercialism Policy
Issue you would like the Conference to consider
Several past incidents have occurred where the Conference for Food Protection (CFP) name and/or logo have been used or misused, without the consent of the Conference body or the Executive Board, to endorse or promote a product, process or service by brand name. Examples of such incidents include an article in a food safety related publication concerning CFP committee activities and the use of the CFP name and/or logo endorsing training programs. Additionally, there has been recent concern expressed by CFP members on the endorsement of products, processes or services by brand name during CFP committee meetings. As a result, the CFP Executive Board charged the Constitution, Bylaws and Procedures Committee with reviewing the existing Commercialism Policy with regards to these concerns and to "discern whether it is sufficient to apply to situations where the CFP name or logo is used in an unsanctioned manner by entities other than the CFP."
Upon review and deliberation of these concerns, the Constitution, Bylaws and Procedures Committee has drafted a more comprehensive policy addressing the development of committee Issues and/or supporting documents, the Issue submission process, and the intellectual property of the Conference.
Public Health Significance
The Constitution and Bylaws/Procedure Committee shall submit recommendations to improve the Conference administrative functions through proposals to amend the Constitution and Bylaws and Conference Procedures.
Recommended Solution: The Conference recommends...
the current CFP Commercialism Policy (established 2000) be revised as provided below (language to be added is in underline format):
This policy has been developed by the Executive Board to establish guidelines for the use of:
1) commercial names, logos, or other information in Issues submitted to the Conference and in Issues or documents developed through the Conference for Food Protection (CFP) committee process and,
2) CFP intellectual property including the Conference for Food Protection name and/or logo, without the express approval of the CFP Executive Board.
Approval for use of the Conference for Food Protection name and/or logo is done through request and approval via the Conference for Food Protection Executive Board.
- The Conference for Food Protection shall not endorse the use of a product, process or service by brand name.
- Issues submitted for consideration at a Biennial Meeting will be reviewed; and those where brand names are used in the Issue, rationale or solution will be rejected.
- The Issue Submission Form will contain a statement that reads, "It is the policy of the Conference for Food Protection to not accept Issues that would endorse a brand name or a commercial proprietary process."
- The use of Conference for Food Protection (CFP) name and/or logo for commercial, promotional and/or endorsement purposes is prohibited by any entity other than the CFP without the express approval of the CFP Executive Board. Prohibited usage may include, but is not limited to research, press releases, product promotions, etc.
|Name||Lee M. Cornman|
|Organization||CFP Constitution, Bylaws and Procedures Committee|
Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
3125 Conner Boulevard, #185
Tallahassee, FL 32399-1650
|Telephone||850.245.5595 / 850.245.5547|